We are looking for an enthusiastic backend software engineer to join our growing development team – building our new microservices oriented architecture at YEO. You’ll be responsible for participating in our product development from ideation, prototyping, deployment and beyond. The ideal person for this role is a problem-solver with an inquisitive and innovative mind, who loves to collaborate with other teams to drive the company forward.
YEO is a fast-growing, start-up developing the next generation of secure messaging. We are at an exciting stage of developing a new greenfield architecture and are looking for an experienced backend developer to join our growing development team.
What will you be doing?
- Assuming a lead role in designing and implementing server-side logic, maximising speed and scalability of our platform.
- Involvement in gathering technical requirements, scoping sprints and features.
- We have a team of experienced front end app developers, with whom you will be expected to work and collaborate, to design end-to-end secure server-side solutions.
- Good communication skills are required to collaborate with both internal and external stakeholders. External contacts could be current or potential clients or companies providing third-party integrations.
- Collaborating with the front-end developers and other team members to establish objectives and produce a cohesive system design to deliver requirements.
- Ensuring the server-side architecture and design can meet the security requirements of our messaging platform.
- Good understanding of the fundamentals of computing – data structures, algorithms, operating systems, compilers, virtual machines, distributed systems.
- Expertise in at least one strongly typed and one dynamic programming language and an ability to adapt to a polyglot environment.
- Experience with more than one modern, efficient server-side development platform (NodeJS, Java, Rust, Go, C++) and the ability to explain the trade-offs in platform selection.
- Delivering services at scale: availability, compatibility, observability, scalability, security – how best to structure an SDLC with these requirements in mind.
- Some understanding of multiple API delivery technologies (REST/RPC/messaging) and when they are appropriate.
- Some experience with disparate database technologies (SQL/NoSQL/OLTP/OLAP), and when best to apply them.
- Quality-led approach to development (TDD/BDD, CI/CD, DevOps, Formal methods).
** Strong programming knowledge and varied technical experience are key, as is a focus on delivering high-quality code without sacrificing agility/time-to-market. **
Nice to Have:
- Good knowledge of Linux as a server operating system.
- Experience in cloud solutions, deployment technologies: AWS, Azure, Docker, Kubernetes.
- Knowledge of security protocols and best practices around building secure systems.
- Experience in other languages (Java, C/C++, Python, Shell, ASM) and programming paradigms (functional/logical/dataflow).
- Computer Science or similar degree.
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
To apply please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you would be a great fit for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Job Application: Senior Backend Engineer